Knowstone Parish Council

Knowstone - East Knowstone - Roachill

Rave information and reporting from Devon & Cornwall Police

Devon & Cornwall Police is working with partners and local residents to make potential locations in the counties unattractive to organisers of raves (also called unlicensed music events or UMEs). 

There is an increased possibility of these events taking place over the Bank Holiday weekends, with two in May – this weekend coming and the weekend of the 25th. 

Uniformed and plain clothes officers are regularly patrolling areas which have been identified as possible targets of rave organisers and we are also working with farmers and landowners to secure sites and make them unsuitable locations.  

We know the misery raves can cause to the local communities with loud music keeping people awake for hours on end, and businesses impacted too. It also has a significant impact on livestock and wildlife and land is often left badly damaged.  

We would like to encourage our local communities, including farmers and landowners, to take proactive and pre-emptive measures to make it an unattractive option for organisers by keeping their land, open spaces and property secure.  

These measures can be as simple as ensuring padlocks on gateways are serviceable, broken fences or open gateways are closed and any buildings are properly secured.

Communities can also help us by being our eyes and ears and reporting to us if they see any of the following signs in their local area:  

An unusual increase in road traffic in rural areas Social media activity advertising the rave and its location Vehicles carrying sound equipment Large gatherings of people in unusual areas late at night (e.g. farmland, open countryside or abandoned buildings).

“Our aim is to deter organisers of unlicensed music events from choosing locations within Devon and Cornwall due to the noise and disruption they cause to both people and wildlife in the area.

“There is also an increased risk to the welfare of those attending with unknown substances often being distributed and crimes associated with consumption of drink or drugs, people driving under the influence and a lack of emergency or first aid provisions on site.” 

Anyone who sees these signs should report it to us by calling 101, or if they see organisers setting up equipment, call 999. 

People can also report, 100% anonymously, to the charity Crimestoppers either via their website or by calling 0800 555 111.